Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thing # 16

Librarything

This was a pretty cool site. First, I am not a big reader, but I can see how this would be a great site for those who do a lot of reading. I know my wife and mom are both big readers. They both have specific authors that they like and trade books all the time. My wife usually goes to the local library to check out her books.

I know it really takes a specific book to grab me and pull me in. But if I can find some books similar to what I like to read, that would be great. I like that it provides you with more options in the reading you want to do and you don't have to guess or get lucky finding a book. One author that I enjoyed reading (Dr. George Sheehan) I only knew of a few books he had written. When I did a search on him, I found all kinds of things on him. He writes mainly about running (back surgery ended my jogging career) but you can get some insight on the mental aspect of running and what it takes to run a marathon and just jogging. I would definitely recommend, Going the Distance: One Man's Journey to the End of His Life, it is sad, but a great book.

I enjoyed looking at the Zeitgeist tab section on the site. There was so much information you could look through. Authors, reviewed books, top books, and much more. I thought that was great.

The talk tab was neat to. I enjoyed the collaboration that goes on. You can get a feel for a book from a variety of people.

Overall, I thought this was a very helpful website. I can see this being used by teachers, friends, colleagues, and anyone else who is passionate about reading. I will tell my wife and mom about it for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment