Sunday, October 11, 2009

Thing #8

Wiki's

I enjoyed # 8's assignment. The Wiki's that I looked at were pretty cool. I do use Wikipedia at times, so it was neat to see how Wiki's can be used by teachers as part of their classroom.

Primary Math
This was a neat Wiki site in that it involved in educational lessons and the teacher used her students as part of the lesson. You know that students love being a part of the lesson. It is just like when I am cooking, my 6 years old wants to help me. It is the same concept. The lesson were good as well. Easy to follow and understand. I could see using this type of Wiki to help out with science and math concepts. Especially since we all struggle with those 2 subjects. A Wiki that comes to mind would be the High Five Bridges. You could create a Wiki about the types of bridges (science) and then include (math) how precise everything had to be measured and piece together to make it all work.

Schools in the Past
This Wiki was based on experiences. I thought this was a neat idea as well. Great collaboration and input from a variety of people/students. Very informative and students can at least get some kind of understanding of how schools were at one time. I would have like to seen some pictures, yearbooks, and fashion styles which could have added even more interest to the Wiki. You could even put a link to a quicktime video of some of the participants on your Wiki. With this Wiki, you could create a time table as you got information and added it to your
Wiki for students to see.

Thousands Projects
This too, was another good Wiki. The ideas they had were great. I like them having a project each month. The collaboration was brilliant as well. Getting schools from around the district and the state to participate added to the Wiki. I like this one because of the involvement. I think that can make an impact on students.

I could use a Wiki in my classroom to create ideas for teachers. Since I am not in a classroom any more, teachers are always asking me how to create a lesson for them, or how to use a certain type of technology equipment or software. It would be great for them to have a resource to go to so that they could get ideas and introduce their students to new software program or equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment