Sunday, October 4, 2009

Thing #7

Commenting on Blogs

I enjoyed learning the how to "comment" on a blog. I think it is important to know the proper procedure to comment on someone's blog. If you do it correctly, the owner of that blog can only take your comments in a constructive positive way. There are several way of doing this:
-have meaningful comments
-say thank you when you comment
-contribute to the discussion, people like to talk and listen
-don't ignore responses

I was watching a Real Sports episode the other night. They were talking about how the internet has taken away and close some of the most respected newspaper companies in America today. Frank DeFord, a great writer, made a good point about blogging and newspaper reporting. He said anyone can create a blog (which is true) and anyone can comment on it. However, with the newspaper, investigative reporting was the backbone of the story. Reporters had to do their work precisely to get the story right. It would take multiple sources and hard investigating. Creating a blog does that as well, but it can turn into a discussion based on one person. I thought it was very interesting the way he thought the internet has impacted print news today as well as blogs.

2 comments:

  1. ParGolfer,

    First of all let me thank you for being the first person to comment on my blog. I felt like I was talking and you were listening.

    I am aware that you have listed this step as a way to leave constructive positive comments. I think you are absolutely right on that.

    Whenever I express my thoughts I expect to be heard, and sometimes it is hard to get that response even in 'real life'.

    Sometimes we do not realize how bad listeners we are, just because we can rephrase what the other has said.

    Listening is more than being able to rephrase. It is all about making those meaningful comments you were referring to.

    Regarding the Real Sports episode you were watching the other night, and the comments related to blogging vs. newspaper reporting, I think there is still demand for both of them.

    As sad as it sounds, there is still a big group of the population that does not have access to a computer and/or internet service. There are also those people that are 'computer divorced' because they do not know anything about computers and are afraid to learn.

    Finally, some newspapers have already got their websites to compensate the phenomena you were explaining before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a really good comment, but forgot to enter the word below.

    ReplyDelete